Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sarge





Saturday last week Josh, Gracie and I went to Pets-mart for a pet adoption. We had no intention on getting a dog we just wanted to look.  They had puppies and all sorts of other dogs there.  Josh fell in love with a 1.5 year old Boxer/Mastiff named Sarge.  He was very large and I was a little intimidated with that.  Very sweet and loved to lick Gracie and when he did she would just laugh.  I at first didn't want him but Josh said it would be ok so we decided to adopt him.  Sunday was horrible.  Sarge we learned was a one time pooper and every time I would take him out he wouldn't do anything.  Friends in the ward lent me there dog crate and we tried to crate train him.  He would have nothing to do with that and Saturday night I had to lock him in our bathroom. Josh was working the whole weekend and wasn't a big help because he was always sleeping.  He had 2 accidents in the house but that was all.  We were beginning to get to know each other.  Wednesday was Ally's birthday and we wanted to go to the cemetery to visit her.  We had to shove Sarge in his crate and leave.  We didn't think it would take 5 hours but it did.  By the time we got home Sarge had managed to get the blanket on top of the crate, through one opening in the crate.  He had also pushed the bottom of the crate out.  We started wondering if having him was such a good idea.  I would call Josh's sister Stacy for help everyday.  I needed some help but wasn't able to get Josh to.  Thursday was the big blow.  Family drama.  Josh and I then decided that we were not good for him.  I called the shelter we got him from and asked if they wanted him back.  They said they did and that they would be there on Saturday.  Josh and I both felt terrible.  He was such a good boy.  We just felt that at this time in our lives we could not handle him.  Josh wanted to put him in training classes but never could with his work schedule.  We always had somewhere we needed to go and would have to leave him.  We were so sad and tried to come up with a way that we could keep him.  He was very loving, obedient, well behaved and such a great dog.  Ww took him back on Saturday.  I miss him always laying by me when I was on the computer.  I miss him at night. A lot when Josh is gone, but I think the best choice was made.  Josh and I bought him a collar and engraved a tag for him.  We wanted him to keep it.  I hope with all my heart that Sarge goes to g great family.  We will miss him.

No comments: